Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Special Reunion


The older I am, the more I see how God so carefully and intricately connects people. Back in 1990, I was enrolled in a Kindergarten class at North Broadway Elementary School in Escondido, CA. Newness of school was accompanied with a new group of friends. Instantly attached to one such friend, I grew along side her as we ended up in the same class until 3rd grade. Although at different school from then on, our paths continued to cross as we remained in touch through church and family functions.

I would say "randomly," but I serve a God who is incredibly intentional, we both ended up as 2 people of a small minority of Californians who attended Baylor University in Waco, Texas in the fall of 2004. In a school of over 15,000, we rarely saw each other except through mutual friends.

However separated, both of us worked as summer staff in the junior high group at our home church 2 separate consecutive summers, and we both had a mutual friend and mentor, Tricia Dealy, who planned on moving to Thailand as a missionary.

This idea of moving to Thailand to work with Campus Crusade for Christ sounded a little crazy to me at first, but after talking to Cayla about it, I became more excited about the idea. Although it worked out that I came to Thailand with CCC and Cayla finished her education at Baylor, our lives continued to cross in amazing ways.

Just this past month, I received an email from Cayla saying that she accepted a job offer as an English teacher... in Bangkok, Thailand... and would be moving there at the end of May.

Coincidence? I think not!

So, clearing time out of her demanding teaching schedule, Cayla and her boyfriend Matt flew up to Chiang Rai this past weekend to visit my home. It was so refreshing spending time with them as we braved an elephant excursion in the rain and explored Night Bazaar in the rural Northern province.

I am just so amazed at how God brings His children together in a way that we could never arrange!

No comments: